Are you looking for a family-friendly weekend trip from Paris? Look no further than Les Maisons de Campagne, a renowned hotel brand that encompasses two quintessentially French luxury properties conveniently located less than 45 minutes from the city.
Last summer, we had a fantastic time with our kids at the Château de Villiers-le-Mahieu, and this winter, we decided to venture to their second property, La Maison du Val. Nestled amidst the picturesque forest of St Germain en Laye, La Maison du Val is a former hunting lodge of Louis XIV offers a tranquil retreat with a touch of luxury and sophistication. The 49 rooms are decorated in a contemporary style, featuring a cosy vibe with old-style objects like fireplaces and mirrors.
Families are especially in for a treat at La Maison du Val. The hotel is well laid out, with many fantastic nooks and cosy spaces to explore – a games room, a piano bar in the old chapel, a cinema room, or a library. It’s a worry-free vacation where kids and grown-ups can have their own “me-time” thanks to the kids club and activities on offer.
Here is what I liked the most during this weekend trip from Paris:
1. All-inclusive experience
This hotel operates on an all-inclusive basis, meaning everything is included during your stay. In advance of your arrival, you will receive an email with a program detailing all the activities available during your stay. Activities vary from week to week, but during our visit, I enjoyed a jewellery-making class on Saturday and a yoga class on Sunday – all included in the price of our stay.
2. Great food
At La Maison du Val, your weekend starts with a delicious gourmet breakfast (or Sunday brunch). Indulge in an all-you-can-eat buffet filled with fresh and seasonal food for lunch. A snack is offered in the afternoon, featuring sweet and savoury options. An aperitif is served at 6:30 pm, followed by a buffet-style dinner from 7 pm to 9 pm.
The cold buffet offers a wide selection of salads, while the hot food presents choices between meat, fish, and vegetarian dishes. And, of course, cheese is abundant, and there is a small selection of desserts. You can enjoy unlimited wines and prosecco, and the hotel stocks the bar with alcohol and mixers to make your own cocktails. When the weather is pleasant, you can savour your meal on the spacious outdoor terrace.
3. Activities for grown-ups
La Maison du Val offers something for everyone, whether you want to fill your days with activities or relax and do nothing at all.
- Explore the hotel’s beautiful grounds, with activities such as pétanque, trampoline, ping-pong and football. There are plenty of chairs and benches available for reading or resting. There is the famous “rosalie” (a quadricycle) for memorable, fun rides across the park.
- Take long walks in the vast forest of St Germain en Laye. There are many trails to explore, and the hotel even offers wellies for the whole family to avoid getting muddy.
- Relax in the heated outdoor Nordic baths, available at no extra cost. Note that they are not recommended for children under the age of 12. We visited in January and found the temperature of 36C to be quite comfortable.
- Check the program during your stay and sign up for classes that interest you. Whether it’s a fitness class or a massage, you’ll find something you’ll enjoy.
- Lose yourself in the beautiful library. Bring a drink or snack and enjoy playing board games.
- Head to La Laiterie, located next to the Nordic baths. This small lounge features a piano, cosy sofas for reading, and a bar where you can create your cocktails.
4. Activities for kids
The kids club operates on Saturdays from 3 pm to 9 pm and on Sundays from 10 am to 1 pm. It is designed for children aged 4 to 12 years old. During our visit in January, there were only a few kids, but I can imagine it gets a lot busier during the school holidays. The hotel organizes a variety of activities during the summer, including treasure hunts, outdoor games, drawing workshops, and water games. There are separate play areas for babies/toddlers and older children.
Our kids’ favourite part of the hotel was the Games Room. We spent hours playing arcade games, table football, and board games. You’ll find access to the cinema at the back of this room. Since there were few kids during our stay, we could choose any film we wanted to watch whenever we pleased!
If you’re looking for a family-friendly weekend trip from Paris, La Maison du Val is the perfect choice.
Where is La Maison du Val?
Maison du Val, Route Forestière des Brancas, 78100 Saint-Germain-en-Laye.
How to get there
La Maison du Val is about 40 minutes away from Paris. If you want to hire a car, Rentalcars is a great platform that lets you compare the prices of rental cars from your location.
The hotel is located 2km from Saint-Germain-En-Laye RER station, and you can get a taxi from there. The train from Paris’s Charles de Gaulle – Etoile station to Saint-Germain-en-Laye is only 25 minutes.